Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Farm Girl Heart!

So who is a farm girl at heart? What does that mean? My definition of a farm girl at heart can not be summed up by one action or thing. For starters it is a state of mind not a location. Growing up on farm I saw farmer's wives who where not farmgirls and then living in a big city after college I saw farmgirls living in urban areas!

Being a farmgirl is all about caring. Caring for people, livestock, veggies and flowers, the woods, and woodland creatures. It is about stewardship, sustainable living, family/neighbors and a frugal life style.

Am I a farmgirl at heart? You bet I am! 100% farmgirl. I've been known to say " You can take the girl off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the girl.". I was raised on a farm while watching my dad, uncle and grandfather farm. My first job was picking up rocks in my dad's field while I was in grade school. By 7th grade I was working in test plots for a local seed corn company. And of course I was 10 year 4-H member!



Now I'm grown up with two small daughters of my own. I don't live on a farm at the moment but we have 1 1/4 acres in a small town. It feels like the country because our house sets way back off the road and our backyard is a wooded ravine with a winter view of the river below. I have a large garden (100ft x 40ft) that I love. I also spend a lot of time during the summer visiting local fruit farms getting yummy things like blueberries, apples, peaches and more. When I'm not doing that I'm busy canning and freezing all these fresh foods in my non-air conditioned kitchen.


When the weather doesn't let me be outside I'm busy sewing in my sewing room. If you have been following this blog you have seen my many creations. I sew anything and everything. One of my many farmgirl attributes I learned from my family growing up is to survival. Some years where good on my dad's farm but others where not. Sometimes it rains, sometimes it doesn't. That make do attitude has stuck with me. My family has a written budget every month and we always live within our means even if that means going without. But we usually can find away to get what we want. There are always garage sales, auctions, coupons, and making it yourself.

I could go on and on about all my farmgirl traits but I'm sure you are painting the picture by now. Do you think that I just described you? Does this sound the person you strive to be? If so you are a farmgirl at heart or at least on your way! Join myself and overs over at Mary Janes Farm Forums to meet others like us and learn more about Farmgirl Heart.

So when you think about a farmgirl throw out the location because it is all in the heart!

2 comments:

Linda said...

I remember picking up rocks too now that you mention it. This is a great week, great for remembering things.

It is encouraging to hear about your place. We have 1/2 acre new house in a village sized town. DH hopes to grow more vegetables.

Tina Leavy said...

loved this post! so very true..it is a matter of heart. no matter the size of the land. here we have less than an acre..but a large city lot and on it I have managed to put 2 chickens(with 2 new bantams and 1 duckling inside as I type/acquired yesterday at the feed store..ha) and a large garden area with all manner of veggies growing now/plus raspberry canes and a 8 ft by 4 ft. strawberry bed, and more.
we are creating our "farmette" in the city. Where there is a will there is a way!
really enjoyed reading your post.