Monday, January 07, 2008

Hand Puppets

For Christmas this year I made my daughter and two nephews hand puppets. My daughter loves the puppets at the local library so I thought that she might enjoy having some at home. I was not happy with what I was finding both pre-made and pattern wise. In the end I decided to make my own hand puppets. I wanted them to be soft, washable, and safe for a child of any age to use.

What I came up with was a simple child-like design. The puppets are made of soft fleece then I hand embroider their facial features on so that they have no buttons or anything else that might be a hazard to a little one.

Each puppet is unique and cartoon like. I was trying to keep in mind what a toddler or preschooler would find attractive and would also foster their imagination. Well, from the rave reviews from my daughter and her friends I think that I found a winner! She loves them and plays with them all the time. They have become their own little person in her world.

Since then I've been asked to make more. Here are photos of the two latest sets that I've made for someone. I'll be making more very soon since they are such a hit. As of now I think that they will sell for $45 + 4 in shipping per set. If you would like to get your name in the hat for one of the next sets please contact me and I'll add you to a waiting list. If you have a specific animal or gender of child in mind please let me know ahead of time. The sets contain 5 animal puppets but not always the same animals, colors, or attire. Some of the animals I've done so far that might be repeated are bears, monkeys, bunnies, pigs, dogs, cats, lions, and frogs. There are also some other animals that I'm working on to add some more variety to the sets. Each set does come in their own drawstring style bag for storing and taking on the go.




No comments: